Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Day 6 - Is that it, only 6 days?

Well, it seems as if we have been here a bit longer than six days, but officially it is six (but I say eight), so whatever. Today we went back to the orphanage and had a blast tickling Sy, playing catch and with puzzles. If only it were closer because I am telling you, that drive is a killer. Snowy roads coupled with us swirving to miss pot holes, surging and then braking, and passing and being passed at alarmingly close proximity to one another is making each trip seem like eternity. Even our coordinator and interpreter asked us when we got back today "Are you sure you want to go tomorrow?". Well yes we want to go back but No we don't want to drive there ever again! I have never had two hours seem like two days, but it does. On the brighter side, we were able to see Sy's sleeping room which he shares with 15 others, his play room, and his study/dining room, which he also shares with 15 or so others. Oh and the bathroom, which has 16 little potties lined up. Each child has their own. Very interesting. We tried his new shoes on him, which he definitely did not like at all! They fit, but it was a battle because he REALLY covets the shoes he wears right now, but we will not be able to take any of the clothes he has when we leave the orphanage. So, he will have to get by with the new ones. I thought I would post a few new Krasnoyarsk photos. One is of the anomoly known as the U-turn. Very interesting. The other is Dean in awe over the VERY large cans of beer they sell. And then just a few of some interesting places we saw along the way, like the fire hall and the plastic trees that line the streets. So we head back again tomorrow and then Dean leaves the next day. My posts may get longer because I will need to fill my time here and you will all be my audience! How lucky are you? There are a few good things that have come out of this trip besides the obvious. My caffeine consumption is down, one diet pepsi a day. That is an amazing triumph for me. I have also fallen in love with a new food that I found at the grocery store, called a FLARONIS. They are a waffle and they are yumlicious! Oh and I am still up one game in Rummy but have come to a dead heat with Spades and Pitch!

2 comments:

  1. Post away we all so enjoy reading them, its great to be able to be a part of your life changing experience even if its only thru your words. Have a great time and be safe!@!@
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I check your blog every morning as soon as I can get around to it. :-) We would love to read more details and see more pics. Did you get a new cable or are you still taking pics with your phone? Also if you have skype, I have a skype acct so we could talk online too. Just give me a little notice so I am around the comp with the proper windows open. lol all the prep work for a phone call is nuts. :-) Good to see pics of where you are, sorry the car trips are so long guess we got lucky as ours were only 45 min and mostly straight road. We had snow and ice to deal with too and crazy drivers but it certainly wasn't as long or harrowing as you have had. However, when there is such a sweet face at the other end of the road its hard to NOT go. Just think, you will certainly appreciate the very LAST trip out there when you can bring him back with you. Also keeping in mind that as harrowing as you think it is...he has never been in a car most likely so he may really find it hard or he may enjoy all the cars going by. So glad you are doing well tho for now the days seem to crawl by soon they will fly. :-)
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete