Friday, February 11, 2011

Final Day! - One Last Visit

Well, we were lucky enough to get to go again today to visit Vladimir. It was so great because today he was as relaxed around us as ever. He talked and talked and talked. We only knew a few of the things he said, but it was great to hear his voice. And the shy part of him was gone. We stacked blocks, we colored, we played with the drums and xylophone (sp?), blew bubbles and put together puzzles. Today I actually had to change his clothes because he had a bit of an accident. Wow, it has been awhile since I put on a diaper!

We stacked the blocks so high that he had to have me lift him up to put them on. Each time when he was ready he would say...mama. Then he just started assuming I would lift him, so I waited and then he finally would say...mama. It made me smile for sure! He points at Dean's picture all the time and says dada. They seem to really have hit it off! We left a camera with them today and hopefully they will be able to take some pictures of him while we are gone.

It sort of sounds like it will be April before we get to come back which is a bummer. We know that we will have to start all over getting him to feel comfortable around us, but it is so nice to see his personality come out. He has so many great expressions! He is a happy boy for sure.

I learned today that there is a chocolate factory in Krasnoyarsk! Lena has said we could go there next time. I am looking forward to that. I managed to survive because yes they have M&M's, Snickers, Starburst, Dove chocolate and more! And did I mention the Diet Pepsi? That really saved me because any of you who know me, know that I have a severe addiction to Diet Mtn Dew and I knew that was not going to be an option, so I was DELIGHTED to see Diet Pepsi. Really it probably was a life saver because I have not had many withdrawal symptoms. You may roll your eyes and laugh but really it is a BIG deal to me.

Dean thinks he might have lost weight since arriving, but due to the fact that all of the above mentioned goodies were present, I don't think that was the case for me! Plus they have lots of yummy pastries and I am enjoying their milkshakes.

We have really had a good trip and besides the fact that we have to leave Vladimir here, we are ready to come home and see our other little guy, Jake. We missed him SO much. So, this will be my last post from Russia. See some of you in a few days.

3 comments:

  1. Well now the tears are even more difficult for me to hold back for you. I'm sure it is a very emotional time for the both of you. I am delighted to hear everything went so well. My kids are very excited as well. I'm sorry that you may have to wait until April. Quite certain Jake will be elated for you both to be home. Take care and travel safely. All my love ~ Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Happy that things went well, I know you were worried about the traveling on their roads but it sounds like you managed just fine...So Question..?? When are you going to just call him Sy instead of Vladimir? it sounds like that name will fit him well, and he sounds like he has really formed a nice bond with his new dad! Thats awsome... No worries about Jake I think he is enjoying his Grandpa Darrell as much as Grandpa is enjoying him!
    Safe trip home!
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very glad you got that last visit with him. Each one is so important and obviously it helped him get closer to you. I remember those visits that really were great for us too. Makes it feel so right and complete. Words hardly express the feelings during all this. I too am disappointed that it will take so long to get back and yes you will have to start over. However, he is old enough that he many have some memories of you so it might be a bit easier. Hope your trip home is uneventful!! Can't wait to hear from you once you are home and have some sleep under your belt. :-)
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete